Monday 5 October 2015

Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart Review

Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart
My Rating: 8/10

This will only be a short review. Mostly because I'd like to recommend you go and read my friends one which is... better. http://www.jjtng.com/2015/01/jack-and-cuckoo-clock-heart-review.html

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that all of my thoughts reflect the English Dub of the film and not the original French release. 

I thought it was wonderful! It reminded me of Mood Indigo in some ways, just the fact that the characters would be doing normal everyday situations but the world around them would be insane. Or their emotions would seem exagerated by animation, like floating into the sky when feeling love. Or growing thorny vines when feeling insecure. 

All of the characters were likable, even the quite two dimensional villain at times.

Plus I'm a sucker for romance. The story of Jack's journey to find the girl he fell in love with after one musical meeting was highly enjoyable. And even with the english dub, the dialogue between their developing relationship was believable.

Visually everything was beautiful and always creative. The accordian type train was excellent! And the interesting characters that filled the carnival always gave me something to look at. 

I have only three issues with the film. Why did the mother leave Jack with that woman so quickly? Was there any point to that? She did not even seem sad.
Also why did Miss Acacia (The female lead) go against Jack so fast after speaking with the villain towards the end? 
Her anger seemed to be fueled by selfishness. It felt kind of like she was angry because SHE would be upset if she'd caused him to die. 
Maybe it was just me that got that impression.  
Those, and the quite random Jack the Ripper moment (Mentioned in JJTNG's Review) are my only problems with it really. 

Animation wise.. hey, it's not Pixar. But unlike something like Monster in Paris, the bad animation is less noticable with such a style. It pulls it off.


Other than that, it's beautiful and sad and wonderful.
It also leaves you thinking.


Rotten Tomatoes Rating:70%
IMDB Rating:7.0/10


No comments:

Post a Comment